Friday, 22 June 2012

TGIF: Authors Are Our Celebrities

Source

Authors Are Our Celebrities: Have you ever contacted  an author you admired? How did that experience go?  If not, which author would you love to have a chat with?

I feel like I'm kind of cheating at this one because I was taught by authors while at university, so I'm in contact with quite a few, have met them, been to a few of their book launches, had classes with some and I am friends with up-and-coming authors too...but I've also had some authors contact me to say thanks for a nice review and I have had brief chats over Twitter/Tumblr with some comic book writers/artists too.

I've met/am friends with/was taught by:
Lucy Christopher
Steve Voake
Mimi Thebo
Lucy English
Carrie Etter
Elen Caldecott
Janine Amos
I'm sure I've missed quite a few people...

I've studied with/am friends with:
Sarah Benwell
Maudie Smith
Emma Carroll

I've met at events:
David Almond
Gill Lewis (also occasionally interact through Facebook/Twitter)

I've briefly chatted to online:
Sam Gayton
Tony Lee
Laura Jane Cassidy
Ross Campbell
Siobhan Curham
Conrad Mason

Writers, authors, artists, whatever. They're just people, so it's not very hard to talk to them really, and that's coming from someone who hates having to talk to people I don't know. I don't actually tend to talk to my writer/author friends about their work very much, we usually end up talking about other things like how they got a new puppy or how they've discovered an amazing new cafe or how they love this new book their reading. Sometimes we talk about writing related things, but I know that I often don't want to talk about my work. Mostly because it's not all that interesting to other people and also because sometimes I just don't want to share. It's similar to how I image my Dad doesn't want to come home from work and discuss the finer points of installing a boiler. He loves his job, but he doesn't want to talk about it all the time.

Sometimes it's nice to talk about something else. Being a writer or an artist can be very isolating and you sometimes lose contact with what's happening in the world because you're so invested in your own, so it's nice to have someone come over and talk about something new, something that's going on out there in the real world. It gives you mind a break from thinking about character development and plot holes.

I would love to talk to more comic book writers/artists. I follow my favourites on Twitter and some on Tumblr as well but I'd really like to meet them. Even if all I do is squeak "you're so awesome" at them and then run away. I'd also like them to sign one of their books for me or an official print. I'll have to save up my pennies so I can go to some conventions.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm like that too! I do start out talking to authors about their books, but sometimes we'll talk about random things like Dunkin Donuts :)

    ReplyDelete

 
The Paralian Girl - Blogger Templates, - by Templates para novo blogger Displayed on lasik Singapore eye clinic.